Friday 15 March 2013

Three Quotations

Three things have been important to me this week (well probably more, but these spring to mind). So my three quotations reflect those three things:

Family - I took a day off this week to travel to a family funeral. My godmother, who is also a second cousin,  but call aunt, lost her husband, my uncle. I have wonderful memories of him, Uncle Ted, dancing with my aunt at parties, singing at family occasions and just being there giving us advice. He also loved to play cards; every family event ended with a game of cards.

So a family quote seems to be appropriate:

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them" - Desmond Tutu

After the funeral, I spent time chatting to my brothers, cousins, aunts and uncles. We don't see enough of each other and it was good to have the opportunity. Its a shame that it took the death of Uncle Ted to make that happen!


The final letter arrived telling me I will definitely be redundant from my job on 31st March so:

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes" - Oscar Wilde

Right now, work is a chore. For some bizarre reason, I am busier now than i have been in the last year or two. I guess the fact that people have left already and that we have work to finish off and to handover has something to do with it.  Today I went shopping at lunchtime. I bought some food for dinner and a bottle of wine. I pondered the cost of that trip to the shop while on the way home and realised that I had spent far more than i intended on the wine. I have to admit it was very nice and if I had known what wonderful wine I had bought I might have left work earlier today (9 working days and counting).

I am off to see Sir on Tuesday:

Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop - H. L. Mencken

It is nearly a year since Sir and I began what we do. We don't call it love to each other. But it is something very special and we can't and don't want to stop it. I guess you might call it love.  Certainly we care about each other alot, and that feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment